Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Wow. I didn't even know that. Wow. **YAWN**

From the MLB website on Billy Butler:

Billy Butler, with a homer and a double, extended his string of consecutive series in which he's hit safely to 112, second most in the Majors.

Let me just preface what I'm about to say with one little fact -- sometimes, I'm an asshole. The vast majority of the time I'm really nice, but you know, every once in a while...

I'm sorry, the tracking of this is starting to annoy me (it's also mentioned by Ryan Lefebvre on the television broadcast...not sure if Denny is doing the same on radio). Whenever some type of streak is tracked and mentioned at every opportunity, I tend to think it should be one for which at least 1-in-10 baseball fans know the record.

Can anybody, off the top of their head, name the record for most-consecutive-series-hit-in-safely? Perhaps Ryan has mentioned it at some point and a few of you have remembered it, but if that's the case, it just proves my point...you wouldn't have known the record unless you heard about it first.

Can anybody, off the top of their head, name the player with a longer active streak than Billy? Same thing -- we wouldn't know unless Ryan or Denny mentioned it, and that's because it's probably not very important.

I love Billy Butler, and I'm a huge Royals fan (in case that had slipped by you), but I don't give a box of stale Cracker Jacks worth of care about this streak. When I want to remind myself that Billy's a good hitter, I'll just take a gander at his slashline.

I'm pretty sure I know why it's being tracked -- the Royals have been poor offensively and without an All-Star caliber hitter for several years, now, so I'm sure there's sort of a drive to find something the fans can talk about, and I suppose one can use it to commend Butler's consistency. But really, this particular streak is almost pure luck...if there had been some two-game series along the way in which Billy went hitless, I'm going to doubt my opinion of him as a hitter would be any different.

And that concludes my needlessly sarcastic viewpoint for the day.

"Mr. Smith, your sarcasm is currently at a here: [..............................], and we're gonna need it at a here: [...]."

No comments:

Post a Comment