Sunday, June 19, 2011

Billy Butler, Gold Glover

Billy Butler leads the Earth in UDP/9 (Unassisted Double Plays per 9 innings) with 3. As there is no possible way Eric Hosmer, Wilson Betemit, or even an unholy defensive union between Keith Hernandez and J.T. Snow could possibly beat that defensive stat, Billy needs to be installed at first base.

...and as I'm being sarcastic about that, Alcides Escobar hits his first home run of the season, a mammoth shot, and reminds me that unbridled, unchecked sarcasm will often lead one to look silly.

I'm hoping I get a chance to look silly again in that same way in the next couple of innings. Who's up? Butler? Jeff Francoeur? Betemit? Psh, just NO WAY that ANY OFF THOSE THREE hits a GAME WINNING HOME RUN today.

*update* And just after I posted that, something else I wrote was made to look silly -- I talked about teams likely testing Francoeur's arm less since he's thrown out so many this season just a few days ago, and then he throws out a runner trying to stretch a single into a double.

*2nd update* And then Skip Schumaker ends the game with a home run that was probably about as likely as Escobar's was to tie it. The Royals now have sole possession of last place in the AL Central.

Sarcasm...restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment