Monday, May 2, 2011

You goin' solo, bro?

Royals pitchers, the home runs they've given up, and how many have been solo home runs (through May 1st):

Bruce Chen: 7 HR given up, 7 solo shots

Kyle Davies: 5 HR given up, 5 solo shots

Luke Hochevar: 10 HR given up, 8 solo shots.

Sean O'Sullivan: 1 HR given up, 0 solo shots.

Jeff Francis: 4 HR given up, 3 solo shots.

The bullpen: 8 HR given up, 4 solo shots.

So in total (if my math isn't jacked up and I haven't missed anything), the Royals have given up 35 home runs, 24 of which have been solo shots for a solo home run rate of 68%. If I remember correctly, the average % for solo home runs vs. multi-run home runs in MLB usually is between 55-59% on average (I haven't looked it up in quite a while, though).

But the Royals starters have given up 27 of those 35 home runs, and 23 of the 27 have been solo shots for an 85% solo home run rate.

Basically, the Royals starters have been a bit lucky to this point to not give up more runs than they already have, but at this point in the season, that's only about 6-7 home runs off of the mean. I can't remember what the average runs per home run in MLB is anymore, but I think it's safe to say the Royals could have given up another 8-10 runs than they have to this point.

Again, meaningless at this early juncture, but interesting...er, at least to me.

On the flipside, it looks like Royals hitters have had about even luck in this category -- they've hit solo home runs 62.5% of the time they've hit a home run (15 of 24 total...I could be off by one, here, but I'm not going to through those box scores a 2nd time).

No comments:

Post a Comment