Thursday, April 28, 2011

Doom, Gloom...Broom.

Certainly looks that way in the early going in the last game of the series vs. the Cleveland Indians.

With the two* home runs already given up in this game, the Royals pitching staff has given up the most home runs in the American League, tied with the Texas Rangers and the Baltimore Orioles**. But while that obviously catches one's attention, it's not nearly as telling as looking at a column that isn't as flashy, but is much more important: total bases allowed.

The Royals pitching staff has no "competition" in that category, as they "lead" the Chicago White Sox by 40+, the Rangers by 60+, and the Orioles by 70+. Given that, it probably wouldn't surprise you to know the Royals also have, again by far, the highest SLG against in the AL at a hefty .457.

I'm sorry to say, this is about what I expected, especially from the starting rotation. Any thoughts of the Royals staying competitive begins and ends there. I thought that perhaps it could be done if they were just something north of a laughingstock, but it would seem even those meager expectations were too much.

So, it's quickly coming to this point, a point I had mentioned on April 8th -- Dayton Moore is going to be forced to do something, anything, just for the sake of doing it if the starters can't cough up at least a decent start or two each trip through the rotation.

None of the immediately available options stand to be any better, whether giving Nate Adcock a try out of the bullpen, or bringing up Jeff Suppan, Vin Mazzaro, or me aged grandmother (although her knuckle-curve is a thing of beauty, let me tell you). But it doesn't matter -- Moore has to make a statement that if you're this terrible, a replacement will be found.

I'm not saying now as in right now, and I'm under no illusions that any "season-saving" moves can be made, but as fans, we should see something to indicate that the general manager is watching, and is disgusted as we are.

*and as I'm writing this, the Indians hit another solo homer. I seriously think the Royals ought to consider intentionally walking Shin Shoo Choo, Grady Sizemore, and Jack Hannahan, since getting them out is apparently considered optional by the Royals' pitchers
**and there goes another, so I believe the Royals have safely secured the undisputed lead in the HRs Allowed category. 'Scuse me while I break out the bubbly...and pour it over my head. I'll probably be punching a puppy at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. Well at least Danny Duffy has been pretty good in Omaha so far... might see him sooner than expected. I'd be alright bringing up Mazzaro and/or Suppan, anything to get rid of Davies. If only they would move Hoch too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...making a move for the sake of making a move is where they're about at with Davies and Hoch, too.

    One thing that could help, though, is the schedule: playing the Twins, A's, and Baltimore in the next few series *should* help.

    ReplyDelete