Thursday, April 21, 2011

What's In A Nickname?

Whoa, hey! I'm Meghan. *High Five*

I went to the Red Sox vs A's game in Oakland yesterday/Wednesday, April 20th, 2011- depending on when you read this. My dad got a bunch of free tickets so he took 3 of his co-workers, my husband, and me. I'm a huge Red Sox fan, so I was really excited to get out there and see my team.

I should mention that I've lived in California for about 13 years and I've probably seen the Red Sox every time they've been out here... and I've never seen them win. Never. They actually finally got their act together yesterday, and they won. It's about damn time!! But alas... that's not what I'm writing about.

I'm writing about Hideki Matsui, sort of. I don't follow the A's at all. I really only know a handful of their players... some of whom are former Red Sox players... so I really had no idea that Hideki Matsui's nickname is "Godzilla". Imagine my surprise when he stepped up to the plate and a Godzilla-like monster appeared on the scoreboard. I leaned over to my husband... "That's a little racist, don't you think? 'Hey! This guy is Japanese! Let's put up an image of Godzilla!' Right?" When I found out that it was his nickname, I started thinking of nicknames I could come up with for some other players based on where they're from, and this is what I came up with:


Jeff Baker (Cubs, Germany): The Berlin Wall
David DeJesus (A's, New York): Cloverfield
Alexei Ramirez (White Sox, Cuba): Missile Crisis
Kurt Suzuki (A's, Hawaii): The Relaxing Volcano
Derek Jeter (Yankees, New Jersey): GTL
Derek Lowe (Mariners, Michigan): Eminem
Ryan Hanigan (Reds, Washington DC): Corruption
Justin Morneau (Twins, Canada): Harmless


So those are my picks... what else can you guys come up with?

-Meghan ;)

1 comment:

  1. Graeme Lloyd (former Royals pitcher, Australia) - Outback Steak-outs.

    Grant Balfour (A's, Australia) - Captain Kangaroo

    Kila Ka'aihue (Royals, Hawaii) - Tropic Thunder

    Bruce Bochy (manager of the Giants, born in France, former catcher) - Stifle Tower

    ReplyDelete