Monday, April 18, 2011

I was so right, I was wrong

Okay, so the prediction thing on Kyle Davies went pretty well:

The Prediction: 7IP, 1ER, 1BB, 8SO
The Results: 6IP, 2ER, 0BB, 7SO

I must profess ignorance...I missed the portion of the game where Davies was taken out after 90 pitches and really getting into a groove, so on the surface I'm a bit mystified as to why Ned Yost took him out. But again, I didn't see that part on my way home, so I'll concede there could have been something going on beyond what it looked like on the surface.

...but on the surface it looks like Yost was a little quick on the hook.

It also seems that any lasting confidence in the bullpen is misplaced until we see more appearances. Nothing showed more what a bag full of question marks the Royals have in the 'pen more than this loss. Whether it was Jeremy Jeffress being wild on everything, Aaron Crow giving out a couple of free passes, or Tim Collins just having a bad outing, we've got to realize they're rookies and relievers, so the chances for volatility in their performances are probably at their highest right now.

They could very well be good, and they might even be good this year, but there's a bunch more wait-and-see that should be exercised.

Couple of other notes:
  • The catcher position for the Royals is going to be a liability offensively...I'm happy Matt Treanor knows how to draw a walk and Brayan Pena goes into every plate appearance holding a bat (and thus something positive could happen), but when Jason Kendall returns...oof. I certainly hope they bat him behind Alcides Escobar, because I would hate to see the Royals lose a run here and there because Escobar gets on base (a phenomenon in and of itself), but is prevented from scoring because of waiting for Father Time to get out of his way.
  • Alex Gordon did not look good against the Indians in game 1. I'm not nervous, exactly, or predicting a slump. I'm swallowing out of reflex, that's all.
  • This is just to fill out a third bullet point, because I was kind of thinking that two bullet points by themselves seemed lonely and don't really justify my using bullet points in the first place. Also, I'm sort of wondering if I generally Made This look like the rest of what I normally write, if it would just sort of blend in and become unnoticeable.
Alright, three more games...I could feel the Royals' bandwagon get a wee bit lighter after the initial loss to the Indians, or it could be because Kila Ka'aihue jumped off because he saw the bandwagon was coming to a curve in the road, and we all know how much Kila hates curves.

No comments:

Post a Comment